Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dangerous Times...

I helped usher in a new decade last night. I showed my 11 1/2 yr old the proper way to shave her legs. Not that I really wanted to give in to this rite of passage, but the simple fact is, she's getting older. Really, there is no need to defoliate her lower appendages, but the opportunity presented itself, and I gave her some pointers that hopefully will help her avoid becoming a walking scab like I was at her age.

It was another wonderful example of how time just doesn't care whether you are "ready", it just keeps moving forward.

Kathryn just kept commenting on how "dangerous" she felt, as she wielded that blade against her virgin skin. I found myself praying that this would be the most dangerous thing she would have to deal with for many, many years. After all, another friend told a story at the local Girl Scout leader meeting about her own daughter's recent exposure to, well, exposure. A man in a pick-up truck had asked her & her friend to direct him to the high school as they walked home from school, and proceeded to unleash the family jewels. Ick. It's been a topic of conversation around our house, to be sure. Why some men get their jollies that way, I'll never know...

Well, I'm off to be dangerous myself. I'm going to get my hair cut, and it may end up really short! It's a challenge for me to think about getting rid of my long locks, especially afte being bald for nearly a year, but the ends are so damaged that they just look awful. I'm also redefining my need for color, which is proving to be an interesting study in perceptions, too. More on that later, though...the experiment is not over!

In the meantime, do something out of your comfort zone today. Just for me, but mostly, just for your own soul's happiness!

1 comment:

  1. I did this same thing over the summer, when I realized Katy had been using my razor. She now has her own, with her name written in Sharpie, on it. And, after reading this, I realized I hadn't shaved my legs since the last time we went to the pool, over Labor Day weekend.

    No joke.

    One of the perks of being single, though.

    I want to see the new haircolor! I've been thinking of going blonde, hoping it will hide the gray better!

    ReplyDelete