Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Staying In vs. Going Out

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a client. She commented that since she lost nearly 25% of her 401K in the crashing stock market, she really doesn't feel like going out much. This, from one of the most dynamic women leaders I know! It really isn't surprising to hear this, though. Fear is rampant, and while our physicial security isn't under siege, our financial security seems to be threatened on all sides.

I have had almost the opposite reaction to all of this mess: I'm out and about more now than I have been in ages! I'm not spending a lot of money, but I have been going out of my way to find joy. Compliment new glasses on a colleague? Check. Call my daughter to have her see the sunset? Check. Cheer my son on at his football game, and stay to cheer his friends at theirs? Check! I've also been participating in lots of networking meetings and focus groups to increase the odds of finding new clients. Magical thinking isn't going to solve this economic crisis, just as it doesn't heal a body from a devastating illness. However, by staying positive and open to receiving the good that is out there, we'll be able to recognize it when it crosses our path.

It's not work when your heart sings!

No comments:

Post a Comment