Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Feng Shui article from the Dallas Morning News!

Uncertain times tend to make people feel nervous, and when unexpected events come along – even positive ones – it can really complicate things. Take my friend Layne, for example. She was thrilled when her daughter was selected to compete in the Future City engineering competition in Washington, D.C. But the cost of the trip wasn't in the budget.
"I had no idea where that $1,500 would come from. The stress of going into debt was making me depressed, so I put a note in my Helpful People/Travel section of my house and another one in my Wealth corner: 'Help with D.C. trip.' Not four days later, one of the other parents on the FC team called to tell me that my hotel room would be completely comped!"
Layne didn't use magical thinking to manifest a free hotel room. She simply shared her situation with her friends. Then she went one step further and used Feng Shui to enhance the energy of her home. She created a physical form of prayer with the notes and left the rest up to the heavens.
The 5,000-year-old philosophy of Feng Shui helps people look at their external environment in a new way. Every space, whether it's a house, a room, a desktop or even a city, is divided up into nine equal sections. Each of the sections in this "Bagua" map corresponds energetically with a different part of your life. Layne needed money for a trip, so she focused on the Travel and Wealth sections of her home.
When my husband was laid off a year and a half ago, I immediately placed a small table-top water fountain in the middle front part of our home, which is the part of the house that corresponds to Career and Life Path. Running water symbolically generates more opportunities.
Next, we swept out the garage, which is the front right corner of our home. This is our Helpful People/Travel section, and when this part of a home is neat, organized and filled with things that have positive stories to tell, you'll find that others show up to help you in ways that you didn't even know you needed.
I addressed the Skills & Knowledge section of the house, which is the left front corner. Any job search will lead to multiple opportunities, even if one of the options is to remain unemployed. Having the ability to discern the right step to take is key to future satisfaction. Clutter in this part means that your thought processes are too twisted to let true guidance through.
Finally, I scrubbed the walls in our Wealth section, which is the far left corner of the house. I got rid of the broken vase there and replaced the dusty plastic flowers with flourishing green plants. I also relocated a bamboo plant here to symbolize a new opportunity full of growth and abundance. I had my husband write out notes of gratitude for the new job to serve as physical reminders of the intentions.
While I worked on the house, Allen was busy networking and polishing his resume. He started doing some freelance work, and was pleased to see some promise there. Then the phone rang and a colleague from his previous employer asked if he'd be interested in coming back.
Of course, waterfalls, positive affirmations and bamboo plants won't fix a bad resume, a defeatist attitude or poor money management. However, by making conscious changes in your physical environment, you begin to modify your attitude – and your actions.
So finish your coffee, and take a look around. It's a perfect day to clear some clutter!
Beverly Biehl of Frisco runs her own interior decorating and feng shui consulting business. Her e-mail address is Beverly@TheIntuitiveInterior.com.

1 comment: