Sunday, November 30, 2008

My "Sarah" glasses

It's always exciting and bewildering at the same time to get a comparison to a celebrity. In my younger days, Geena Davis was a common comment, along with Paulina Porizkova (the Czech supermodel who married the lead singer from Cars, Ric Ocasik? Remember?). Well, now the leading look-alike seems to be none other than the Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin. Of course, that's only when I wear my glasses, which tends to be a relatively rare occurrence. As luck would have it, though, one of those times was when I attended the Voices columnists' training session a couple of months ago for the Dallas Morning News. My eyes were not in the mood for contacts, so rather than fight it, I went for the totally new look.

While I'm not a huge fan of Mrs. Palin's politics, she is an attractive woman who isn't afraid to speak her mind. I think we could have a lot of fun camping out together, as long as she wasn't in the frame of mind to field-dress any wild game. Hey, I've "processed" quite a few chickens in my time growing up on a KS farm, and that is not an activity that is high on my list of experiences...but I digress. The simple fact is, she's made glasses cool again, and I really appreciate her doing that for the rest of America. Thanks, Sarah!

Now if I could just figure out why another friend of mine thought I looked like David Bowie...that was certainly a new one for me! Oh, and for the record, these frames are nothing like hers, but I'll still view any physical comparisons as a compliment. Bowie, on the other hand, not so much, but it could be fun to parade around like Ziggy Stardust for a while!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Palin??? What kind of Kool-Aid are they drinking in the DFW metroplex these days?

    Sorry...I didn't look at Sarah and think, "Wow, she looks a lot like my sister!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess you haven't seen the photo they use for the DMN column. I'll try to get a copy to send to you!

    ReplyDelete