Monday, April 27, 2009

Mission Accomplished!

Hurray! The wedding went off without a hitch, I'm grateful to say. Well, other than the fact that I forgot to tell the guests to sit down after my brother & sister-in-law gave their blessing to my niece....but thankfully the maid of honor whispered in my ear that they were still standing. So, everyone got to stand while they recited their vows, oh well... :-)

I still find it hard to believe that I married a couple. The fact that it was my niece who has had to deal with the direct comparison to me all of her life made it all the more special. In fact, the whole event was magical. It started on time, no one in the bridal party fainted, and even the last-minute change of the sand ceremony by the high winds made the whole thing just perfect. Instead of the two glasses of sand standing on a small table up front, the wind forced them to be presented to the happy couple by the bride's parents. Yeah, I could absolutely get used to the energy rush of pure joy from everyone at the ceremony... Still, a sage bit of advice from another minister friend comparing the officiant to a piece of furniture gave me new perspective on my role, and it also took all of the pressure off. Thanks, Ellen!

My aunt was able to attend with her ailing husband, too. They made the Herculean effort to drive from LaCrosse, KS, all the way to Denton. Justin has been battling severe diabetes for decades, and is usually confined to a wheelchair, unless he's back in the hospital for various complications of the disease. The stars aligned for this event, though, and he had enough energy to actually get up out of the chair and dance for several songs! The ecstacy and wonder in his children's faces was equaled only by the unabashed joy and gratitude on his wife's face. Justin wore a grin from ear to ear all night long...poetry, pure poetry! It was the completion of a promise that Justin made to his grandson that if Mat ever got married, then he would come to his wedding. And so he did.

Perhaps I am biased, but this whole event was almost surreal in the blending of families, the ease of old friends reconnecting, and the nearly seamless transitions from pre-wedding jitters to post-ceremony joy. Yeah, I got to stand up front and say some words, but this had a truly blessed feel to the entire day that could only come from the Creator.

Yeah, I do still sound like a bliss bunny, I know, but it really was that cool! Guess some of that may stem from the feeling that my husband and I renewed our vows by proxy, and by being able to dance the night away myself, and by having both of my children tell me several times that I did good, but regardless, I think I'll hold onto this feeling for a long time. It's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment