Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day to ME!!

I'm a sucker for sentiment. There, I admit it! That's why in the past it had been so disappointing to me that my darling husband just refused to buy into the Hallmark Holiday of Institutional Romance. We have never gone out for a romantic dinner in a restaurant on that day, nor have I been showered with massive bouquets of over-priced roses draped with diamonds. Usually the most that I could expect was a nice dinner at home, a card, and the occasional box of chocolates.

So, you can imagine my surprise when this year rolled around and there wasn't a single thing that he had done for me! I had purchased the chocolates for the kids, I got the ingredients for our nice dinner, and I had even gotten my own flowers. Because I knew he was so anti-holiday, I didn't even bother giving him a card. If he wasn't such a fantastic, romantic, helpful man all of the other days of the year, I'd be really bummed, but because he is, he gets a pass on all of the hoopla.

The day went along just fine, until the afternoon. It was a beautiful day, and he wanted to go for a walk with the dogs. We live close to the Tachyas Trail in east Frisco, and it's refreshingly wooded. After about a half mile of listening to Mocha cough and hack her way along the sidewalk, we stopped at the creek to give her trachea time to expand. I read the plaques that explained the origin of some of the landmark's names, and then noticed a bright green ribbon and an envelope tied to one of the old, gnarled trees alongside the walkway.

"How sweet! Wonder if it's a marriage proposal?"

"Why don't you go check it out?"

It was for me! My darling sweetheart of 18+ years had remembered my dismayed comment about not having any large trees around to lean on when I'm troubled, and had scoped out one that "spoke" to him. I love going for walks in nature when life gets complicated, and we only have scrawny shrubs in our neighborhood. What better present could there be than to know that I've been heard? That I'm loved for exactly who I am?

It was the best Valentine's Day EVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment