Sunday, January 25, 2009

Harry Potter, Life Coach

So, I finally got around to finishing the whole "Harry Potter" series, and am now absolutely ravenous for the new movie! OK, I didn't actually "read" the last 3 books, but checked the audio versions out from the library. If you've never listened to a book on tape, this is a great series to enjoy. The reader (who's name has escaped me) captures the characters perfectly, never wavering from the appropriate accent, nor does he stray from just the right decibel level, even during the exciting parts. I hadn't realized just what a big deal that was until I tried other audiobooks, and found that some characters were voiced too quietly to hear over the road noise, and others would have such an obnoxious whine to them that I shut the whole thing down. But I digress...

During the book, "The Half-Blood Prince", Harry and his other 5th-year peers were trying to learn how to apparate & dis-apparate. The teacher used a 3-word mantra to help them learn this very difficult task. I thought it was fascinating how it could be applied to our own lives:

- Destination: Figure out where you want to be. Hold the thought in your mind and stay focused on it.
- Determination: How much do you really want to go there? If it doesn't matter whether you make it or not, then is it really worth your effort?
- Deliberation: Once you've selected your destination, and have a determined mind to get there, it's time to set out a plan for achieving your goal. This is where many people fall short. I'm a big believer in the concept that our thoughts create our reality, but no amount of wishful thinking will cause a new Jaguar Hybrid to materialize in my garage.

If I want to have that as my reality, I have to put my feet to work, too. But as I take actions to make room for that new vehicle, I'll recognize opportunities when they arise through my visualizations. I can only hope that our new President will use these three things daily as he navigates his new job.

Destination: A renewed economy and global goodwill
Determination: Inspiring hope and personal accountability for all Americans and acknowledging the good that others have to offer as well
Deliberation: Inspiring speeches, decisive action, and surrounding oneself with smart people.

OK, maybe a bit simplistic, but you get the point. And if you don't, just check out the book from the library. It's really good, and sure does make for a quick commute!

No comments:

Post a Comment