Monday, January 5, 2009

The 12 Best Sayings I Heard or Read – to use in 2009

12. I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Thomas Jefferson

11. Someone who sighs because he doesn't believe that God forgives him for his sins, is an atheist! Rebbe Mottele Tchernobiler

10. If you want your dreams to come true, don't sleep. Yiddish proverb

9. There are three things which are real: God, Human Folly, and Laughter. The first two are beyond our comprehension, so we must do what we can with the third. (from Tales of the Ramayana as told by Aubrey Menen, Scribners, 1954, p. 276)

8. When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Abraham Joshua Heschel

7. Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards. Soren Kierkegaard

6. I slept and dreamt that life was joy, I awoke and saw that life was service, I acted and behold service was joy. Tagore

5. Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive...then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. Howard Thurman

4. Music is what language would like to be if it could.

3. In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of. Confucius.

2. Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom. Theodore Rubin

1. The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. Albert Einstein

This came from the following mail list:The ALEPH-PNAI-OR mailing list is hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network a service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

1 comment:

  1. Two of my favorites,

    "It's amazing to me that literacy isn't considered a right." George Carlin

    "No, thank you. Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben." Blazing Saddles

    ReplyDelete